Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Treatment #1 is done!....

And it went pretty well. We got to the hospital around 8. By the time we got the drugs from the pharmacy, they weighed her and checked her height, and did her blood draws and blood pressure, it was close to 9:30 before they hooked her up. Shortly after they got her on the drip, the pediatrician came in to take a quick peek at her. And then the Child Life Specialist dropped in. Well, they treated Amanda so well, she's gonna wanna go back every week! They brought her in a quilt made by a volunteer quilting society. She gets to keep it. And then brought in a small stack of books from which she was able to select one to keep. They they plopped her in front of a tv with a ton of movies to choose from. If she would've gotten bored of the movies, the Child Life Specialist would have done something with her. She kept asking if there was anything she could do or anything she could get her. So she sat there like a queen while I got her a hot chocolate and a muffin and she watched movies! She was pretty wiped afterwards to she is spending the afternoon with her little sister at Grandma's. She didn't have any allergic reaction but I made sure to dose her with Benadryl and Tylenol before we went. So she goes back in 2 weeks. Hopefully, by then, we'll notice a difference!



Anonymous said...

Well i'm glad everything went well today. I'm sure that i'll see you tomorrow and you can tell me more. TTYL Nathalie

TRAVIS & LAURA said...

I just wanted to post a quick note online for ALL to read, and hopefully shine a little light on Amanda's day.
Just to clarify, my name is Laura, and I will be running for Amanda in a marathon this November.
My commitment to the cause is raising $5500. That means alot of pavement pounding when it comes to door to door canvassing, and several letters to drop off at local businesses.
There are days when I raise funds and awareness for JA that don't quite go as planned, many people closing the door in my face, or simply not interested in supporting my cause.
My inspiration comes from Amanda on those days, and I know she would power through her struggles and look for the 'positive' in what lies around the next door.
Since I have started my fundraising, I have met a countless number of people who suffer from Arthritis, or are touched by someone close that does. I have also heard stories of others with JA who suffer just like Amanda, and they can understand first hand what she is going through.
It is alarming how many people are unaware of the effects of JA, and that it even exists. I feel like a small messenger who needs to spread the word, and through Amanda I am successfully able to do so.

MitchB said...

Thanks so much Laura for your post and for being such a wonderful ambassador for JA! Amanda is quite touched that you've chosen her as your inspiration and I'll be sure to shar3e your note with her. I've asked her to spend some time this summer preparing something to post here.


Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,

I've just found your blog through facebook. I also have a 3 year old daughter who has JRA. She was also diagnosed at 18 months old. She is currently on methatrexate, naproxen and sulphasalazine. She has had injections 2 times already, nothing has put her into a remission period yet. She is however handling things very well. It is so amazing what children put up with, how they just continue on with life without much complaints. I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm interested in learning if this drug has helped your daughter. I hope we don't have to go down that road, but it is so nice to know what is available and what has worked for others. Best wishes to Amanda.

Tara Page (tarapage@telus.net)